Practice or Classifier?
Running the classifier is a twice-yearly requirement for IDPA clubs, but I must say we all needed the practice! Must have been the heat, because I know I felt bog-slow on Stage 1. And those 20 yard targets, they were a long ways out there.
After 4 hours of watching, what did I see? A need to practice the basics, just like the classifier is designed to test. What a surprise!
* "Make ready. Eyes, ears, ammo!" provides a dandy time to check one's weapon. Some didn't.
* One's hands should close on the pistol (Smack!) close to one's torso. Not out at full arm extension.
* After pressing the trigger, ease (Quickly!) one's finger out only to the reset point. Just like we don't run races for speed holstering, neither are points awarded for quickly removing one's finger from the trigger. Removing one's finger from the trigger only causes the hurried second shot to be 'slapped.'
* Several shooters unclasp and reclasp their hands, almost for every shot.
* DO NOT attempt to turn around with a pistol in one's hand. Neither should one bend over to pick up dropped gear with a pistol in one's hand. Where does the muzzle point then? Several shooters are more aware of this now.
* While tac-loading, keep the pistol pointed downrange. If one must shift the pistol to access the magazine release, immediately straighten it and resume a firing grip during the reload.
* While tac-loading, keep the pistol high - near a firing position - and reload it while held there. One will be faster to return to the fight and the pistol is available for immediate sighted fire if someone needs to be shot.
* What is this fascination with in-holster topping off? Take every opportunity to practice correct tactical reloads.
* The cure for shooting low at distance is to aim higher on the target. Hard focus on the front sight, not the target.
Like I said, just the basics!
See you at the range,
|Classifier Results for 7/13/2002|
|Complete Name||Final Score||1||2||3|
|CDP / MM|
|Ken Reed||184.68 (78)||54.38 (16)||43.4 (12)||86.9 (50)|
|Rob Oates||193.2 (65)||58.59 (6)||52.72 (19)||81.89 (40)|
|Phil Hollis||198.21 (45)||61.29 (11)||46.89 (10)||90.03 (24)|
|ESP / SS|
|Dewey Winstead||141.29 (44)||36.43 (3)||35.7 (9)||69.16 (32)|
|SSP / SS|
|Tom Janstrom||139.84 (49)||39.47 (10)||35.92 (14)||64.45 (25)|
|SSP / MM|
|Devin Jones||170.59 (60)||48.7 (15)||43.49 (12)||78.4 (33)|
|Corey Fhuere||195.96 (65)||63.05 (17)||46.95 (13)||85.96 (35)|
|CDP / UN|
|Rafe Zach||199.89 (59)||67.92 (15)||49.79 (12)||82.18 (32)|
|Bill Schleifer||230.31 (123)||68.01 (23)||68.06 (27)||94.24 (73)|
|Tyson Cornell||279.67 (202)||72.78 (34)||74.4 (56)||132.49 (112)|
|SSP / UN|
|Dean Beisly||175.99 (121)||38.09 (17)||36.85 (26)||101.05 (78)|
|SSR / UN|
|Michael Boegeman||172.93 (79)||53.37 (15)||46.79 (20)||72.77 (44)|